Who are they for?
- Traineeships are designed help young people who want to get an apprenticeship or job but don’t yet have appropriate skills or experience.
- Traineeships prepare young people, aged 16 to 24, for their future careers by helping them to become ‘work ready’.
- They provide the essential work preparation training, maths and English and work experience needed to get an apprenticeship or other job.
What do Traineeships provide?
A Traineeship is an education and training programme with work experience. It is designed to give young people the skills and experience that employers are looking for.
It has 3 core elements.
- Work placement
- Work preparation training
- English and maths support, if needed
Traineeships last anything up to a maximum of 6 months with the content tailored to your individual needs.
Download the Government factsheet
Findings from Traineeships
- Quick movement from classroom to work experience placement to maintain engagement
- Regular contact between employer and provider
- Regular contact between provider and trainee
- Record of achievements and aims
- Mentoring and supervision to be provided by employer
- Trainees assessed on attendance and time keeping, teamwork, communication and influence, decision making, professional behaviour, problem solving and analysis, reflective practice and self awareness, personal drive and motivation
Traineeships: Support for employers
Training providers deliver Traineeships, which are funded by the government, with employers providing the valuable work experience placement and interview as part of the programme.
If you are interested in finding out more about employing trainees or offering Traineeships and the benefits they can bring to a business please contact us.
Benefits to the employer
- Employ staff with skills and experience
- You are able to shape their training and experience
- Allow you to work with young people enabling them to acquire the right skills to enter your business
- Reduce recruitment costs
- Source candidates
- Find the staff for your future
- Embed culture and good practise from the beginning
- Lead to apprenticeships